Saturday, July 2, 2022

I genuinely forgot to post this.

 I worked with Dr. Ruohola-Baker for 3 years (1st year as an undergraduate, and 2 years as a post-bachelor employee), and she was the mentor that sharpened me into a scientist. She has a very strong will and motivation to do good science, and to my understanding, she obtained this by persevering through tough times as a female scientist during the 80s-90s. 


The thing is, I did not learn to be a scientist from her via a smooth road, it was rather by a very strict way. Although unintentional, most of us from the lab, including me, learned to be a better scientist from her via the fear factor. For instance if we did not do experiments well, we would be questioned very seriously of our method, and if we did not present well in the meeting, we would be placed onto spotlight. To top that, her standard is very high in regards to presenting and thinking scientifically. I have to say, not many students were able to stay with her for too long, however, I did persevered through it and became one of the lab's core member. To be who I am today, I had to change from a very quiet person into a more of an active person (in a way that I would speak up to what I have questions/concerns of or immediately reach out to anyone whenever I have problem), which is a core necessity to be a good scientist. And via the rough way of how she taught me to do good science (building hypothesis, designing an experiment and writing a scientific literature), I was sharpened very much that I was ready to be a graduate student. And the fact that the things that I have been doing today are going very smooth is all thanks to her mentoring skills.


As much as I liked who I became now, I did not like what I went through and I understood that her methodology of teaching/mentoring would not apply well to most of the current generations (or any). I learned, however, to teach others in a better way. Dr. Ruohola-Baker gave me the opportunities to work with many undergraduates, and that gave me the experience of how to properly mentor a student. I learned that students can be made into a great scientist without having to experience any fear-factor by passionately and patiently guiding the students slowly throughout their development. With a balance of seriousness, introducing humor during research is vitally necessary to make the lab environment less stressful and would make them more engaged in the project. Overall, a happy setting would generate a productive environment. 

I genuinely forgot to post this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment